Trinidad & Tobago Panorama 1999 revisited - by Dalton Narine

Andy Narell

Trinidad - ALL THE clichés apply on this Panorama evening.

What’s new, though, is that Panorama has begat a couple of sidebar stories that now overshadow the very tenor of the contest. Witco Desperadoes’ Clive Bradley has come prepared to talk the talk, while Californian Andy Narell of Hydro Agri Skiffle Bunch is being forced to walk the walk. In the genre of Panorama music, will the other bands merely be reduced to mocking pretenders?
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Greetings to all the folks,Panorama Final Night is special, BIG OCCASION,  KILLER INSTINCT, SWEET MUSIC and to be fair, only a FEW BANDS  can rise to that setting. You hear folks saying, "boy, Final Night, do trust  DESPERS  or ALL STARS nah" Dem is  FINAL NIGHT BAND. simple,statistically, they have proven that they can perform regardless of position  drawn.. and WIN.

'

• Bertel,

Come and take a knock man.

Salah

• I like the music Zanda is doing, anyone care to comment on it. 

• So do I Cecil. He has a tendency to play his music a little too slow. Add that to the quality and quantity of Deltones'  instruments (especially the mids where the essence of his music lies) and you'd understand his immediate setback against the competition. I sped up Deltones Trini a little and trust me had that been played on Skiffle's instruments (coupled with the popularity of the tune) the outcome of the Panorama may very well have been different.

• I was going to comment that of anybody I could see fitting in there musically it would be Zanda, but as much as Glenroy sees Bradley as perfectly representing the Desperadoes vibe and Smooth representing the All Stars vibe, I see Zanda and Deltones as being a similarly natural connection...

• Noah, I would not be surprised if Deltones with Zanda was to win a panorama in the near future. It just a matter of them picking the right tune and Zanda capturing the imagination of the people.

bugs

• Bugs, if my memory serves me right, Zanda did win with Deltones, the tune was Radica? Please check that.

• That was Steel Xplosion from Tobago (medium) however he and Deltones won when they were a small band in 2007. Unfortunately some pan lovers think those categories don't count, so hey.

• Thanks Noah for the correction.

• Regarding Zanda, I'm glad you guys brought his name up.

I include him in the next wave of arrangers, including Michelle Huggins-Watts,( an arranger I'm falling in love with) Duvone  Stewart, Andre White and a few others that I would love to see given a hundred man steel orchestra as a blank canvas, and , devoid of limitations imposed by fans or sponsors, or judging criteria,  allowed to create art as they saw it.

After all, I doubt that  artistic masterpieces were created to meet any judging criteria., or that Mozart or Beethoven were constrained by judges, fans or patrons when creating the works that are now considered classics.

In a way, I think that Andy is the only arranger who for various reasons is given the freedom to create as he wishes. I have a feeling that he doesn't pay too much attention to the judges.

Of course this is a radical view, but like I said before my ideas on pan tend to be a bit radical for some.

And , in keeping with the "People's  Choice" idea, let "town" decide who is best!

This reply was deleted.