A Ministry Exclusively for the Steelpan in Trinidad & Tobago

by Salah A. Wilson

This proposal and discussion is not a response to any current dispute concerning the Steelpan movement and the Cultural Ministry of Trinidad and Tobago. This topic has been raised before, by me and others as well. It is an attempt to outline a full slate of reasons and logical proof of why an exclusive Ministry for the Steelpan is essential and needed. It is also an attempt to offer suggestions as to how to bring about this important Ministry. The skeptics will have their say, as well as the opposition, but we expect those of you who will support this notion to equally come out and have your say. The end point must not be just talk or a good document; rather it should be the basis of a blueprint to establish a movement for this worthy cause.

Question 1. - What is it that constitutes a need for any Ministry in Trinidad & Tobago?

Some suggestions (1) This Ministry must be able to offer something meaningful to the country, to the population , to the world; (2) This Ministry must be able to provide a service to the country, to the population , to the world; (3) This Ministry should have the ability to generate finance and contribute to the economic development of the country; (4) This Ministry should have a positive impact on the social status of the population of the country; (5) This Ministry should be able to attract foreign investments and  tourism; (6) This Ministry  should be able to positively affect the youths of the country; (7) This Ministry should be able to create jobs and spin off related industries.

The above is only some suggestions but we can weigh the Steelpan against them as a beginning point of reference. But first let us answer another question which is this. We already have a Ministry of Culture and Steelpan falls under Culture so why is a Ministry for the Steelpan needed. Well by a process of elimination, let us weigh the impact of the other cultures of Trinidad & Tobago to the above 7 points of reference. Include (Calypso, Soca, Chutney, Mas, Parang, Tassa, Better village,….etc). However we will leave this job to the proponents of these other art forms of culture. Our business is the Pan so let us get our weighing instruments ready.

click to read complete document

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good points Andre

• I would like to see PAN represented not only for Trinidad but for the whole world, I am not sure bout a Ministry of Pan, what will happen when we have a new Government? They may change it, we dont know. It have to be worldwide. What about unionising Pan (Steelbands)? something got to be done, I can only voice my opinion, this is not my area of expertise

• Bede You are using your say  and that is the important thing.

As far as the Union  a brother covered that and rightly stated that the Pan organization should be operating as a Union. but A Pan Ministry is taking the Pan to a new Level in its birthplace T&T. The merits of the Pan when implemented ( re-read the article) will render it a billion dollar industry and yes governments can change Ministries  they do it all the time..but they don't change what is working  do they and the Pan is growing continuously  ( that is a constant). 

We need to move away from the status quo for the last 60 plus years ..the Pan has grown up ..it has grown up enough to have its own Ministry

regards

Salah

• Bede, change of governments should not have to matter, but that is politics and thus far the track record of "all of dem" is lacking...  There appears to be a building mood and appetite for needed and necessary change of direction... ['Power of pan lies in the passion of the people'] But I arguably agree with you here and with Pan'tum - The Ghost Who Talks that a Trade Union exclusively for Pan Men&Women is needed as a base moving forward. [Steel Pan Blueprint For Success (Rough Draft Edit) by George D. God...]  For all of this evolution to transpire, maybe we do need a pan revolution...

• The problem is that since the general trend is to place someone without any experience in the role of Minister, who will be the Minister of Pan?

Right now most ministers have no direct experience in administration in their respective ministries. For examle we have a medical doctor as the minister of education, a calypsoian as the minister of Arts and whatever, a swimming coach as the minister of sport, a sports administrator as the minister of works etc. Not one has had any experience in administration of their respective portfolios.

The same goes for chairmen of the various state boards, CEPEP contractor in charge of the national airline who says he needs a CRASH course (know where the airplanes will end up) and so on.

So if we have a Ministry of Pan who will be the minister responsible? Somebody from the sports fraternity perhaps because as you know since you don't need to be a pilot to fly the national airline then you definitely don't need a panman to run the Ministry of Pan.

• Oh Gosh  Wayne ...LOL you're making Trinidad look like a real Joke...yet what you are saying is true. But we will cross that bridge . Out of a million plus people in T&T ...We will find someone fit for the job. If not we will have to get some national in the diaspora to do the job. But first is to break the bondage that the Pan is in and envision the possibilities that the Pan can bring about.

Because the Pan has a complete family of instruments it can therefore be an alternative to the strings  family or the wind family of instruments. once it spreads to high schools colleges and Universities all over the world, the markets will increase tremendously and although Pans are being made all over the world today. Trinidad will still have an edge for (1) authenticity and (2) lower cost. It will be a multi billion dollar industry.

We need to mobilize a grass roots movement in Trinidad to push the buttons...who is going to step up to the plate... who has the guts, verve and vision to step forward to work for this cause. You have to first believe that it is possible. We also need a prayer ...for real

Regards

Salah

• Cecil, allow me to explain the situation. First of all we already have a Ministry of Culture of which  the Pan falls under including Pan Trinbago….So we could leave the status quo as is…….The result is the same – o, same – o.

However as the article points out...It is time for a separate Ministry because, the merit and benefits and power of a Ministry is what is needed to propel everything forward.

Pan Trinbago will not be regarded as a Ministry because it is an organization. This has nothing to do with their record, just their Status. They are an organization.

We are talking about a Ministry like Education or Health or Transport ..etc…

This Pan Ministry will have all of the jurisdiction of its own portfolio. It will set up its own policies. An organization cannot become a Ministry, but a Ministry can have branches and organizations.

Read over the article and tear apart the seven points mentioned. There are more or there could be more ..but these seven points are just for a reference point ..somewhere to begin.

In your post you stated the following

PanTrinbago budget is supplied by the government we are asking the government to finance a Ministry to do what PanTrinbago is supposed to be doing. I just can't see the government duplicating”.

The General Hospital has a budget ..Is there any duplication with the Health Ministry ..of course not .the General Hospital has a definite function  but is it comparable with the Health Ministry’s function…That is the scope of where we have to look at the Pan Ministry and Pan Trinbago or any other organization.

Let the dialogue continue

Salah

• Don't get me wrong here all I am saying is turn the organization into a Ministry, the same ministry that you are asking for.

• What I am saying  ls to leave Pan Trinbago alone to do what they are doing and set up a Pan Ministry to do all the other things that Pan Trinbago cannot do or is not doing. A Pan  Ministry with the Powers of any other Ministry as mentioned This Pan Ministry has the Potential to bring in more revenue even more than Oil.

The Pan Ministry will have a greater influence not only locally but also internationally for instance compare a Travel and booking agency with the Ministry of Tourism

We need to continue with the dialogue because when it reaches Trinidad is a different kind of battle so this Forum is fitting to start the dialogue battles ...there is a lot to gain and only when everyone speaks their mind can we finally arrive at a concensus

Salah

• Cecil  don't get me wrong also..All I am saying is that let the dialogue continue  because more things will come out and that is important

Respect

Salah

This reply was deleted.