BIRDSONG BEGINS 2013 PANORAMA PREPARATIONS

Birdsong Steel Orchestra has chosen world renowned panist Andy Narell to compose and arrange its music in 2013 for the band’s 40th appearance at the Panorama competition.

Andy Narell’s return to the Panorama stage is the culmination of a relationship that he developed with Birdsong 5 years ago after his first encounter with the band’s youth development programme which has already exposed more than 400 young people to a structured music literacy training curriculum centered around the steelpan. Andy is part of a growing list of experienced musicians who have worked with the Birdsong music education programme since its inception in 2004. As he said in a recent interview, “when they asked me if I wanted to work with them for Panorama 2013 I thought about it for a couple of seconds to make sure I was hearing correctly and told them yes.”

One of Birdsong’s directors Dennis Phillip says that the band’s membership and the Tunapuna community are eagerly looking forward to the collaboration with Narell who has 18 titled albums to his credit and has thrilled audiences all around the world. He has also been Artist–in-Residence at dozens of USA schools including the University of North Texas, Northern Illinois Univ., Eastern Kentucky Univ., Miami Univ. (Ohio), Southern Mississippi Univ., Univ. of Delaware, Univ. of Akron, Oakland Univ., Wichita St. Univ., Univ. of Illinois, and the Univ. of West Virginia.

Andy brings to Birdsong a 100 percent record of appearances in the Finals in his two previous efforts at Panorama arrangements thus far, and has set his sights on getting Birdsong to the 2013 finals with his latest offering The Last Word, which whilst retaining his signature “sweet chords” and supporting calypso rhythm, seeks to break fresh ground for Panorama with his eclectic mix of jazz, afro-caribbean, and classical influences. International ambassador and teacher of pan that he is, Andy is attracting a large foreign contingent to Trinidad to help interpret his music, including a clip from Calypsociation, the steelband school in Paris where he teaches, and a large group of university and professional pan players from the USA.

Birdsong starts Panorama practice sessions on Saturday December 1st at the panyard at the corner of St. Vincent and Connell Streets in Tunapuna. All pan players interested in performing with the band are invited. For further information, please call 716-9657 or 309-0285

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• good luck Andy Narell

• Gospel Pan, this year Andy, Ray and Zanda will breathe the new life you are looking for into panorama.
  • For some time now, I have liked the choice of songs and arrangers used by Birdsong and I really can't wait to hear what Andy does for this Panorama. I am also a fan of Andy's music, especially some of his more recent works...now if only other bands will follow Birdsong and try something new...it could breathe new life into the ailing Panorama.

GP

• Both Birdsong and Skiffle Bunch should be commended for hiring these two master arrangers, they knew from start that they would not be getting the "regular" panorama tune, or the judges might not appreciate their music, they choose to treat pan lovers around the world with the innovative music of two of the greatest arrangers in the game.
    • Good for Birdsong!  Wishing them the best.

• Good move...  Let the competition games begin!!!

• THANK GOD, they decided to bring this man, down here. Smart move, Birdsong. I'm a huge Andy Narell fan and I've always described his two arrangements with Skiffle Bunch, a breath of fresh air.  In a panorama arena which has become stagnant in sound (except for a very few arrangers), since the death of Clive, his arrangements would be welcome. Andy uses beautiful chords and progressions and I wait impatiently....to hear his offering. Again, WELL DONE.......BIRDSONG!!!! 

• Best of luck

This reply was deleted.