When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

From WITCO Desperadoes.

WITCO Desperadoes wishes to categorically disassociate itself from reports in the media referring to statements alleged to have been made by our arranger Robert Greenidge with regard to a call for foreign Panorama judges. We wish to emphatically state that no such statements were made by Robert Greenidge, nor did any such emanate from any other member of the band. We recognize the extreme difficulties of judging a Panorama competition and have always accepted the fact that ‘the decisions of the judges are final’.

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok, now this makes sense because I can't see why any arranger would jeopardize their position by upsetting the judges before the finals, with a call for foreign judges. Still...you never know right...a slip of the tongue maybe?
I cannot expect that any arranger would say that ,but thins get skewered here around Panorama. The Judging is appalling,the judges go in there with the idea of "my band" and "sponsored" bands " big port of spain bands". South and tobago are also the outside children and are treated as such. Mr Robert I will say those words for you judges from abroad but I bet they will be corrupted once they get here. Desperadoes had just about one of the best arrangements last weekend if not the best, and I am alistener not a supporter of that band in paticular.
Great job on the part of Desperadoes for their involvement in clearing up the miscommunication.
It's always good to know that the Despers, as always, continue to abide by the judges' collective decsison. Winning is not the end all of everything. The Despers are a disciplined band and they work hard. They are undeniaby the best steel orchestra in the world and they have set the standard for today's steelbands. No matter the decision of the judges, the Despers, are true champions, not only for winning but also for the way they handle defeat. They always give their best (no matter what) and that, by all accounts, is the mark of discipline. Good luck Despers, Keep your heads up. You are still the best.
Good day to all, I think that Desperadoes did a good job of disassociating it 's name from the media, Referring to the statement made by Mr. Robbie Greenige. I don't think he did, and as a arranger myself, we do accept the final decisions made by any judging. Good job Witco Desperadoes and God Bless.
i agree with gospel,
probably was a slip of the tongue,
you are supposed to make those comments after the rama...
actually i think it could have worked in their favor. Despers always was a badjohn band....
I AGREE THAT IT PROBABLY WAS A SLIP OF THE TONGUE, AND SECONDLY EVEN THO I AM NOT A DESPERS FAN I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOU SAYING THAT "DESPERS ALWAYS WAS A BADJOHN BAND", WHAT'A UP, ARE YOU BRINGING BACK ROPE IN BAND?
didn't mean to offend,
it was meant more as a term of endearment.
mr charles and despers are and always will be a fantastic band.
they have always had a cutting edge to them, which was my point.

on the other hand isn't a little aggression a good thing?
Wow, Newsday actually quoted Robbie saying it...

“I think that if they (the judges) don’t hear the melody, sometimes they are wondering where you are and I think if you are a judge, you should know where the melody is. I’m not putting anybody down but the fact that you’re talking music, I’m pretty sure if you bring judges from abroad and they hear the difference in all the bands, they would know what is what and the results would be different.”

very interesting...
it is very interesting,

the quote you have used is surely more appropriate for festival judging not for panorama.
i thought vibe, jam and exciting the crowd was as important as the music.
soon the players will be wearing tuxedo's for rama night.. lol
What about the bands that have huge, enormous and extremely passionate fan bases?? Wouldnt they have an unfair advantage if "crowd excitement" is considered part of the judges card?

It would be great if the judges could publish/post their result sheets and comments after the competition so individual bands and arrangers could see where they excel and fall short....oh and also, so the public could see where the judges fall short! It is a new ERA - time for TRANSPARENCY!
that is one of the main reasons why we have a medium and small band comp.
have you ever known a panorama to be judged on music alone???

Panorama is more than just music

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service