When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 6301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rodrick,that was one also. We can list tunes until thy kingdom come. Cecil originally said list your best three and I responded by saying it would be easier to list thirty three and he asked me to, so it opened the door for many more people to add what they knew of. I found that very interesting.

Listening to some of these rare bomb tunes(Thanks , Val ) bring back certain memories , certain feelings.

Memories of J'ouvert morning as the sun is coming up , and going home Carnival Tuesday night after las' lap.

To the real panman back then, the  only feeling better than chipping along to a J'ouvert morning bomb tune was the pleasure of being behind your pans , strutting your stuff  as the sun came up.

Just listened to Invaders again, and brings back lots of nice memories of people, people from all over,  waiting in front of the Oval;the sun coming up, people with branch in hand, and then... some pushing those pans up Tragarete Road..and the sound of the feet shuffling to the sweet music..OMG! J'ouvert the best part of the carnival!!!

Jackie that was my first experience with j'ouvert, going up Tragarete Road with Invaders "slow jam" chip, chip , chip what an experience. We were lucky to be around in that era.

Surprisingly , no one mentioned Ebonites from Morvant . Among their great pieces were Roses from the South , Night and Day  and Slaughter on Fifth Avenue . The arranger at that time was Knolly Bobb  who later arranged  the Harmonites winning tune  Is Paris Burning ?

Incidentally , to correct a previous thread , Ebonites was around before Harmonites. The Harmonites players joined Ebonites for Carnival until they went on their own.

I would like to mention some of Boogsie music that I liked here, he did "A 5th of Beethoven" for Moods in New York in the 70s, NESSUN DORMA for Skiffle Bunch, STREET LIFE, CHERISH and OLD BLACK MAGIC. I'm positive  that I left out others that I don't remember, if anyone remembers any feel free to post .

Amazing Grace for Jewel 22

JEWEL 22 ==== AMAZING GRACE

After reading and listening to all offerings, I am forced to ask 'what is a bomb tune (chune)'. It seems that as long as a band plays a non calypso in calypso tempo, dais a "bomb chune"? Did "bomb tune" have anything to do with "Green Corner?
Silver Stars, Starlift, City Symphony, Invaders, AllStars, Despers, HiLanders, Cavaliers. Could some person tell me about this band from St. James called "Pan Am North Stars"? Did they have any bomb tunes? Anybody could name at least one?

patrick ramdoo Green Corner was where the West Bands drop their Bomb, remember it was musical war.

Right, but I find it strange that Pan Am was not mentioned among the many. I remember 'Valencia', Relicario, some of their bombs.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service