When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 6310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Earl Richards very good info except that Is Paris Burning was a test piece for all bands.

I want to commend all the participants that contributed to this discussion. It is the most informative and relevant topic that I have followed since becoming a member of WST. I have read and learnt so much since this discussion began. I am a Laventillian that grew up in the sixties with Highlanders Steel Orchestra. With Bertie Marshall at the helm, Highlanders was a major contributor to the high quality of bombs during that era. Although mentioned previously, I would like to repeat such tunes as: Let every valley be exalted; Gypsy Rondo; Italian girls in the Algiers; Romance in E minor; Begin the Beguine; Melody in F; Malditos Cielos, just to name a few.
Let's keep the discussion going in the hope that Steel bands would consider returning to the glory days of sweet music on our national instrument.

What I like about this is that quite a few of the tunes are posted and heard for the first time by some. ODW or VAL it would be nice if you can post Melody in F and Liberstrum by Invaders. A lot is coming out of the wood work, that's why when Cecil said post your best three, there were so many,I found it easier to post thirty three,then got a message from him to go ahead. This can run into triple figures,as more people are naming tunes.

"Liebestraum" - Invaders Steel Orchestra(1959)

Vintage Invaders Steel Orchestra featuring pan legend Emmanuel "Cobo Jack" Riley.

MELODY IN F INVADERS

I love the solo played by the legend Emmanuel ''Cobo'' Jack Riley ... pleasant listing .  

Gerard, this thread has taken on a life of it's own so we just have to go with the flow. I have not been this excited since Clair slow dance with me in a school dance in1959. Ciro steelband played. lol

Right on Mr. Keith Joseph,I see Claude has posted Beautiful Dreamer and I'm looking out for more postings. I like your choice of words young fellow lol although some say 1949 to 2017 doh fall in da category lol :-)

MORE INVADERS!!!!

Tracks: 1.Pajaro Cho Gui, 2. April Love, 3. Come Back To Sorento, 4.Teensville, 5. Count Five Personnel: Ellie Mannette -- cellos; Emanuel "Cobo Jack" Riley, Clyde Boothman & Winston Phillip -- tenor

Yeah Cecil, nice topic with tunes coming in and some posted for listening.

What can we learn from these tunes? there must be a message for us today from all this beautiful music from the past.

Did not read all posts/ comments.....but i saw no mention of STARLIFT'S....PENNYLANE

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service