When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 6523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cecil, my apologies I know you mentioned the 60s bomb tunes, with Trumpism and the snow ah have to take it One Day at a time...2005 Bomb Winner

Val, Despers, certainly left their mark on the bomb scene with some of the most memorable tunes.

odw no need for an apology Bro. lets just let the topic flow where ever it may, as a matter of fact it will be good to compare the early bomb tunes with the latter ones.

I took the liberty to post some of Glenroy's videos below, credit him for transporting us back to the glory days. Education and entertainment.  

Cecil, you do have a point in stating that the BOMB-tunes of yesteryear was always something that many of our contemporaries looked forward to. On the negative side, though, we also had to put up with the many "runs" and "shrills" that had to be included, thus making the tune the identifiable work of certain arrangers...sometimes this was overdone. With a "run" followed by alternating crescendos, as well as alternating highs and lows; the music kept many people overjoyed, but not necessarily presenting the piece as a progressive output of true musicality, or the "geometry" of music. Nonetheless, it was a good time; but ultimately all good things come to an end.............sadly! 

Lindsay Salandy, Montreal

Lindsay early the Bomb tune was more complex music that why I said the 60s but I'm glad that it's now about any era so we can compare. Bands today play more popular music,I like the heavy classics, for me they were the best.

Despers Has Been a Stalwart Steel Orch in The Sixties that Lit up the Town ON J'ourvert Morning

Silver Stars Steel Orchestra "The Abduction from the Seraglio"

Cavaliers Steel Orchestra "Tzina Tzina"

J'ouvert Morning "Bomb" tune from the late sixties (1967). Arranged by Lennox "Bobby" Mohammed

Desperadoes "Flight of the Bumble Bee"

' Flight of the Bumble Bee" Arranged by Beverly Griffith is. another "Bomb" tune from the 1966 Desperadoes double album " Triple Crown Winners"

Ghost riders in the Sky / Somewhere my Love ( Lara's Theme from "Dr Zhivago") by Silver Stars (1967)

From their 1967 album "Carnival in Trinidad Vol. III" Silver Stars gives us a
taste of what bomb tunes sounded like in the days when pan ruled the roads of T&T at Carnival time.
arranged by their Bandleader/ Arranger Junior Pouchet, another one of the pan legends of the past.

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service