Trinidad & Tobago National Steelband Panorama 2015

In the age of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram the self-made Pan experts and gurus are popping up everywhere all over the world -- type 140 characters, hit enter and scream ‘Look at me...’ Luckily in Trinidad and Tobago there is Panorama - they do things the old-fashioned way - you’ve got to earn it. And as that late Trinidadian Geoffrey Holder would say: “Ha Ha Ha Ha”

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - And so another phenomenal chapter has been added in the musical Game of Thrones known as ‘Panorama.’

Once again the greatest steel orchestras in the world convened in fierce contest for their annual rumble on the ‘Big Stage’ in the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port-of-Spain, the capital of ‘The Home Of Pan.’

Hailing from sister isle Tobago, and the North, South, East, and West of Trinidad—the twin-island birthplace of the steelpan instrument—they came for a shot at musical supremacy for some - or an opportunity at fame and renown for others. And of course, the usually slim chance to enter the circle where only Titans and Giants roam - Panorama Champion, Large Steel Orchestra Category.

It was indeed “Smooth” sailing for Trinidad All Stars Steel Orchestra in the 2015 edition of Panorama and Carnival on all levels - as they brought the trinity of Carnival - Mas, Calypso and Pan together for a perfect winning trifecta. They won with an original Calypso Unquestionable penned by one of their own—Clive Telemaque—with specifically his steel orchestra (All Stars) in mind. They triumphed on the greatest platform for Pan and were crowned 2015 Panorama Champions. And they continued their winning ways in the Mas arena as they captured the coveted Mas crown for the second consecutive time as “Band of the Year” with their presentation of “Ships Ahoy At A French Festival.”

But let us back up and examine how we got to this point.
- See complete review at: http://www.panonthenet.com/tnt/2015/oped/wst-panorama-wrap-up-2-22-2015.htm#sthash.zOM62Xvb.dpuf

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Despers need a new sound And the great master is is not with them and it no one else can pull a rabbit out of their hat and right now anly Smoothe and Boogsie have the musical magic time and music has change and have to keep up and it will continue to change Kitchener didn't like Social when it was first introduced and he change look what Audry did for him brother change is good the old become the new and vice stop calling for Bradley, Jit, they had their reign. it is either Boogsie or Smoothe or the fresh bloods Emrit /Devon (etc) stop hating why don't you go down to TnT and show them how to arrange. show what you can with the twelve tone. (chromatic) Mr misic
  • Every Panorama Arranger has His or Her Style, in fact it's in their DNA. Because of this you would hear Pieces of of Previous Pieces. The Difference with All Stars everyYear the Play the Same Melody - The Same back Ground Music - The Same Runs after a Time it gets Redundant. The Problem here is they get Rewarded for this Recycled Music so there is no need for Change. If it's not Broke Don't Fix it. "True Story" A Pan man came to Trinidad The Friday before the Finals to Play with All Stars and Played the Whole Tunes Note for Note. When asked How He Managed to do that. He said that He Have been Playing that Same Music for the Last Four "4" Years.
    • What have you arrange lately Mozart for a person who recycle music for all those years must be doing something right if you listen most of the great like Miles, Colerain, Mozart you would know them by their style of music you are living in past the old master's had their reign this Smooth and Boogsie reign stop being a hater you didn't hear Jit and the other great arranger sayingwhat you are saying about. ALL Stars only the ones who can't win always talking trash arrange a winner then you. Can speak the man who is still wearing a police uniform the best is always the best don't matter what you write some good music only have two cord progression Mr Music (Mozart) I'll
    • Valentine I respect you…However you know when people feed you BS. All Stars is a unit band and no way in hell would they allow anyone to pop in at the last minute to play... Professional or not, whoever told you that “TRUE STORY” is full of it. In the history of Panorama All Stars is the only band to change the format of their playing style. When Eddy took All Stars through the years Smooth was away they had a totally different style. 1980’s All Stars and 2015 are totally different playing styles with the same Arranger. Renegades has a new arranger but still sound like they are playing to Dr. Jit’s playlist.  Robbie is good but need to change things up a bit… not as radical as Ray Holman but change is needed at Despers. As most people notice the tempo was lacking from most bands. I wanted to light a fire under Fonclaire to pump up the music and for Renegades to drive that tune with some fire not a last lap chipping jam.

• Martin My Bro. With all Due Respect. You did not Get the Humor in what I wrote. It just shows us how All Stars plays the Same music every Year. You just have to remember Last Year Piece and You know this Year's Tune. All Stars is Rewarded at Carnival with Band of the Year Honors, because they authorities Claim that they are Fed up with Beads and Bikini even though The Large Mas Bands are more Colorful and Glamorous than they are. Carnival is Color. So why the Panorama Judges can't do the same with All Stars Recycled Music. I tell You Martin My Brother. It's a Big Joke and Conspiracy which Favors All Stars and their Supporters.
        • Valentine... You finally got it. All Stars my recycle the same music for the next five years and they will still be different from the others who are stuck in the same 80’s and 90’s style of playing. There is no excitement no fire… just look at the players when they play the tunes and judge for yourself, you know when you have something with driver, it hits you deep down inside and makes you want to move and dance. Innovation in music is not just changing the tone or arrangements, its making you feel the music. An example of this is Phase II only came alive at the end of its rendition with the driving bass line, by then it was over for them as winners.

• People ,I am not a professional musician , though I've played in music bands and steelbands.

I am a pan lover and fan , and I know what excites me.

I know little about music theory , but like food, I do not have to be a master chef to appreciate and enjoy a great and tasty meal , even from the first bite.

And that is the secret of today's panorama.

The secret is to take a piece of music , assume that no one is familiar with the source and create something that would excite the emotions of the listener at first hearing.

This is panorama , folks ,not a classical festival , and though arrangers use classical music guidelines in their arrangements , panorama is about stirring the emotions ,not about the technical aspects of music, though we may like to think that it is. 

Smooth Edwards is a master at this. ( Boogsie is also great at this , but of course  I "feel" Smooth's music more)

I do not have to know the source material of All Stars music , to be swept away when they perform.

You would notice that in the medium band category most of the bands played old tunes.

They knew the difficulty of stirring the audience with an unfamiliar piece of music.

Some of the larger bands chose a more deliberate tempo , hoping in that way to get their arrangement across to the audience, and the judges , which may have resulted in a lessening of that carnival "omph" that people want at carnival time.

This says little about the quality of the music , but the fact is this is still panorama music , which was based on a more sophisticated arrangement of what used to be Carnival road music, and we still yearn to hear some Carnival in panorama music.

And that is what All Stars manages to provide.

(IMHO of course)

• JUST ONE  QUESTION ,REVIEWING EACH  BAND 'S  SUMMARY , THE  TERM "plays" WHAT DOES REALLY THAT MEAN? Other than that, I love the synopsis of each band summary. 

• Well said… that was my feeling after the Panorama….Lack of Tempo killed most of the bands rendition.  

This reply was deleted.