Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music
When Steel Talks extends Congratulations to Trinidad All Stars
Trinidad All Stars Steel Orchestra has won the Large Band of the Year title for 2015. This was confirmed by the National Carnival Bands Association (NCBA) on Thursday afternoon. All Stars scored 2,392 points to take the title with their presentation of 'Ships Ahoy At A French Festival.' In second place was Trini Revellers with 'The Jamette Carnival' which scored 2,299 points. Downtown Band of the Year winner, Ronnie and Caro, scored 2,230 points to place third with 'Ah Come Back Home.'
NATIONAL CARNIVAL BANDS ASSOCIATION CARNIVAL 2015
COSTUME DESIGN (BANDS) (SENIORS)
1st SHIPS AHOY AT A FRENCH FESTIVAL - TRINIDAD ALL STARS STEEL ORCHESTRA - 2,392
2ND THE JAMETTE CARNIVAL - TRINIDAD REVELLERS COMPANY LIMITED - 2,299
3RD AH COME BACK HOME - RONNIE & CARO...THE MAS BAND - 2,230
4TH WONDERLAND - PAPARAZZI CARNIVAL - 2,075
5TH REFLECTIONS - LEGACY MAS - 2,044
6TH SOMEWHERE OUT THERE - DREAM TEAM CARNIVAL - 1,879
1ST THE LONG WALK FROM HOME - K2K ALLIANCE & PARTNERS - 2,269
2ND D UNIVERSE - JUS WEE & FRIENDS - 2,227
3RD OF THE BLUE CARIBBEAN SEA - IMAGE NATION - 2,053
4TH ICONOLOGY DE CORE TT - 2001
5TH PARADING IN GEMS - FLIRT MAS BAND - 1,928
6TH FUN WITH COLORS - WILD MAS - 1,892
7TH THE SAGA OF D AMERIKAS - ROAM THE MAS BAND - 1,753
David De, you are saying Mc Williams, Ken Morris, George Bailey, steelbands mas was better. Would not surprise me if you are also a patient of St Anns hospital.
Patrick,Dont miss understand me.If the judges could give All Stars band of the year for that sailor band and I saw a lot of beautiful band and the judges just bypass those band and give All Stars band of the year again.These same judges would have bypass George Bailey and Mc Williams and Ken Morris and all the rest and give someother band, Band Of The year,
When you know that George Bailey or Mc Williams or Ken Morris should have won Band Of The year what would you think.
That what I ment,But I guess that you still have to read and spell for some people to understand.
Vote for me and I'll set you free. That was the message received by non African Trinis. They voted and are beginning to enjoy that promised freedom. We no longer plant cane in Trinidad, the main ingredient in Rum making. Presently we push eating Roti and drinking Rum. With no cane we will soon be left with only Roti. Think People Think.
Who exactly, pushes "eating Roti and drinking Rum"? Is that the new phenomenon? Endless lines at roti stalls and shops/restaurants, the patrons?? Rum and Coke combination has been around before the Andrew Sisters. I think there is 'rum' in de combo.
David did NOT want to miss the opportunity to share some facts....THINGS HAVE CHANGED !!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING !!! In 2014 the NCBA changed the rules ALL bands are judged on BOTH days and points tallied in an effort to add some color to Monday (Prior you had a band of the year Monday and Band of the year Tue.) So the facts facts the only two bands playing full costume on Monday is Starlift and All Stars the rest of the bikini and beads bands play with a tee shirt and shorts NO HEAD GEAR then come out Tuesday with full costume for ONE DAY. Too bad Starlift does not come out Tuesday in full force or they would be right up there with All Stars Come on man stop hating and posting remarks that fuel division for the steelband Did you know there was aproposal to have steelband parade on Monday ONLY. They got steelband out of fetes now they trying to get them out of carnival and folks standing around and not making noise. LOOK AT THE AVE !!!!! ANY STEELBAND CARNIVAL DAYS Come on man support the steelband (Just a note win draw lose All Stars are out on the road even 2 best of the rest FYI. Phase were nowhere to be seen on Jouvert or Tues. Looking forward to hearing from you after you VALIDATE what I said about the rules
I see your point David. Thanks for clarifying.
Thanks to Trinidad All Stars for emphasizing that sailor mas belongs to the steelbands and that the steelbands belong on the road for Carnival, among the people who created and love pan with a passion. Community mas will always be good mas, just "play yuhself".
THANKS Gerard Well Said!!!!!
I stopped visiting this forum about a year ago, due to my abject disappointment at the level of ignorance displayed by many members, most of whom should know better. Too many recycled grudges dating back before I was born (and I am in my forties). How can the pan movement grow as a force when its elders cannot be objective enough to even say 'congratulations' without trying to take something away? On the odd occasion I do post something, it goes like this (sent to the editors of the 3 local newspapers in Trinidad. Don't even bother replying to me, I will not see it because I won't be looking:
I would like to publicly congratulate my steel orchestra, the Massy Trinidad All Stars for 80 years of existence and the unquestionable performance last Saturday night in convincingly capturing its 9th Panorama title. The Band of the Year title for the second consecutive year is more than mere icing on the cake, but a phenomenal result that further underscores the amazing work coming out of the East Port of Spain based icon. Clearly, something great is taking place ‘behind the bridge’. Here then are 5 lessons to be learnt from All Stars’ latest success for those willing to listen:
1. Prepare for Panorama as a carnival competition and not a music festival – Machel Montano will not enter Power Soca Monarch with a lullaby, neither will All Stars in panorama. You cannot intellectually discuss yourself into a panorama title, you have to touch people emotionally. Leon ‘Smooth’ Edwards deliberately sets out to make people happy by giving them what they want and he has worked hard to master the art of marrying sound music content and crowd pleasers.
2. Practice practice practice – on most nights All Stars is one of if not the last band to finish practicing, while many of the critics are probably already tucked away safely in bed dreaming of becoming panorama champion. Griping and complaining after the results are announced are no substitute for intelligent hard work.
3. On that note, instead of griping and complaining about results spend the time figuring out how you can improve instead - All Stars lost 4 panoramas, Soucouyant (1985), Soca Warriors (2006 1.5pts), Thunder Coming (2008), and Excitement (2014) by 1 point, not to mention the highly contentious Heat (1982), Curry Tabanca (1987), and Dus in Dey Face (1993) among others. The band did not get beyond the preliminary round in panorama 1989 and 1990, and suffered further humiliation by losing the Best of the Rest competition both years. The organization never complained, criticized, attacked the victors, or cried over results that obviously hurt. Instead, All Stars regrouped, did their homework and came out harder than before.
4. Focus on carnival and not just panorama – the Band of the Year Mas titles in 2014 and 2015 were the results of years of focus beyond panorama. All Stars has portrayed mas every year since inception and will continue to do so. This year the band’s carnival fete ‘Soca by the River’ enjoyed its 19th edition, an unparalleled achievement in the steelband world. Winning the various J’ouvert Bomb competitions has become the norm for the band. None of this magnificence takes place without, discipline, dedication, and focus on carnival, not merely panorama.
5. Enjoy what you do – at the heart of every single presentation, whether it be panorama, mas, classical concerts or world tours, the members enjoy every minute of what they do. Their smiles, hops, skips and steps flow naturally from a deep and sincere enjoyment of their lively music. This genuine enjoyment is infectious and is a main reason why the band enjoys such popularity.
Congratulations and Happy 80th Anniversary Trinidad All Stars! You deserve every accolade because you have worked hard for it with humility and sincerity. May you live to see another 80 year of growth and success and many more years after that.
Daryl C. Joseph
Thanks DJ well said Happy to see you on WST. I recalled our Carnival Monday conversation on Prince St.
Hi all, For the sake of truth and fairness as stated by Patrick in his Blog,I want people to know that All Stars did not win band of the year playing Sailor. The name of All Stars portrayal was "SHIPS AHOY AT A FRENCH FESTIVAL." The truth is exactly as Daniel L has stated, the rules were changed and the Band of the year is now judged over a period of two days, meaning you should play mas in full costume on both days if you want to win Band of the year.All Stars is registered in the large band Category and on both days they are very large and in full costume. Now other bands would come out with t-shirts and bikini no head gear, or some will come out with a small section on Monday. then on Tuesday they come out with full numbers and in full costume. The point is, by the time Tuesday comes around All Stars would have a very comfortable lead as far as points are concerned,so when Tuesday points are compiled with Monday points.Trinidad All Stars is awarded BAND OF THE YEAR.
Congratulations to All stars for their win. It is richly deserved because they are playing mas based on carnival tradition in Trinidad and not succumbing to the prevalent beads and feathers bikini mas which is so boring to watch after a few bands have passed, and hard to decipher any meaning from it. Sailor mas on the other hand preserves the 'mocking pretender' role of mas -we need more mockery and less commercialised prettiness in this world. Ive followed All Stars on many a Jouvert and love their music and the passion with which they play.Good decision from the judges.